Monday, March 30, 2009

On The Radio

And now that I have that Regina Spektor song in my head...I will be making my first -- and hopefully not last -- appearance on Chicago Public Radio/WBEZ tomorrow morning on the program Eight Forty-Eight. I will be reading the essay I wrote about narrowly avoiding a speeding ticket while driving through Glencoe on my way to work last November. If they are able to connect, the producers hope to interview the police officer that gave me life/career advice instead of a ticket. Eight Forty-Eight airs in Chicago between 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. You can stream (click the 'Listen Now' button) the broadcast here. Or, you can read the text of the essay or listen to the podcast here. The incident was one of my primary inspirations for starting this blog, so I plan to publish the full-length version of the story here eventually, as the radio version is substantially shorter.

6 comments:

  1. Great job on NPR, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I laughed really hard when they threw in that Kelly Clarkson song. Not what I was listening to specifically, but very appropriate nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! This trumps my meeting Robert Segal story by a mile! Holy mixed metaphor! Exclamation point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! We were able to talk the police officer into being interviewed too, so I think that might air tomorrow. She is, obviously, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary,
    What a great spot. Did the interview with the officer ever run? Thanks for sharing your story.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been working diligently to find out when/if they're still doing her interview. Because, not only is she wonderful, but also because they misspelled her last name. It should be Officer O'Sullivan.

    ReplyDelete